A suspected burglar died Sunday night after getting stuck in the chimney of a California home when the unknowing homeowner lit his fireplace.
The county coroner identified the man as 19-year-old Cody Caldwell, whose cause of death was reported to have been smoke inhalation and burns.
Sheriff’s Lt. Brandon Pursell said deputies received a 911 call to the 16000 block of West Gale Avenue just before 3 p.m. Saturday. After lighting a fire, the homeowner heard screams coming from somewhere inside the house. When the resident realized a person was in the chimney, he immediately extinguished the fire.
Firefighters who rushed to the scene used jackhammers to break open the brick chimney in an attempt to rescue Caldwell. Unfortunately, however, he was pronounced dead at the scene.
Investigators believe Caldwell attempted to break into the home sometime during Friday, November 27. He remained stuck in the chimney until Sunday night.