Mold, like yeast, mildew and mushrooms are all part of the species known as fungi. According to MoldMan.usa, there are about 100,000 different varieties of mold, many of which have very active and critical biological functions. If you’ve eaten mushrooms or used yeast, been given penicillin or thrown leaves on top of a compost pit, it’s the action of these fungi in the form of molds that is essential. Not all mold is dangerous to human health. But some can cause serious illnesses and even be deadly, so it’s imperative to understand the distinction. Some molds have a self defense mechanism that a substance called mycotoxins. These mycotoxins are extremely dangerous to human and animal health.
As Blacktoxicmolds.com explains, there are only about 100 types of mold (out of 100,000 in existence) that produce the dangerous mycotoxins. And these can be lethal – not just to humans, but to animals. One well known mycotoxin, called Alfatoxin, has contaminated “25% of the world’s agriculture” – from grain to milk to meat and living animals. In 2004, after eating food contaminated with aflatoxins, 125 Kenyans died. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) have created regulations to limit the amount of aflatoxins in our food supply. How they came upon their formula is another inquiry. But so far, there’s no FDA regulation concerning two other virulent and deadly mycotoxins – Stachybotrys chartarum and Trichothecene; these are the ones commonly known as Black Mold. One of these, Trichotherecne, per Blacktoxicmolds.com, has been used for biological warfare. Disclose TV reports that black mold is actually killing millions, many without the knowledge of what is happening as they struggle with serious health issues. A documentary that brings to light the devastating toll on people who live in mold infested houses, or places where they work, is aptly entitled “Moldy.”
Like other fungi, mold is reproduced by airborne spores looking for moisture and sustenance. Mold spore particles are basically everywhere, especially in hot humid months. These spores spill through your home from hair, clothes, dust or your pets and through air vents, cracks and windows. Mold proliferate wherever there is moisture. The naked eye can’t differentiate between mold types, and the color of the deadly mold isn’t always black.
Individuals may be affected differently when coming in contact with black mold, depending on their age, exposure levels, and strength of their immune system, but, as Dr. Mercola states, “Everyone is potentially at risk for toxic mold exposure . . .” Mycotoxicosis is the result of being poisoned by mycotoxins. Black mold spores can cause memory loss, headaches, rashes, infections, neurological difficulties, autoimmune disorders, respiratory problems and more. Antibiotics have not been proven to work. Getting away from the toxic mold does.
But if you suspect black mold is lurking in your school, home or business, it’s best to consult a professional. While there are many internet sites that share natural methods to get rid of black mold,” using vinegar, bleach, lemon and a respirator, doing it yourself could backfire and cause more exposure. Moldman.com has excellent information about what you should look for in a contractor who says they can do mold removal or remediation. He says, if you see it, don’t waste money on testing. And he shares five principles to keep in mind – “safety, assessment, contamination control, source removal and moisture removal.”
Being bombarded by toxins on every side means we must, to the best of our ability, become vigilant to protect ourselves. Eating organic foods, including super foods like turmeric and chlorella and drinking clean water may help support your immune system.
For a more in depth look at mycotoxins, here’s a presentation from 2015 from Dr. Jannette Hope.
Sources:Submit a correction >>