In a social media post published late last month, President Donald Trump reminded the entire world that he has been warning of the North Korean nuclear threat for nearly twenty years now.
The tweet came in the form of a video, which starts out with a clip of then-President Bill Clinton announcing a 1994 deal with the North Korean regime that was meant to halt their nuclear weapons program in exchange for aid from the United States. “This is a good deal for the United States,” Clinton says in the clip. “North Korea will freeze and then dismantle its nuclear program.” The former president added that South Korea and other allies of the U.S. would be better protected because of the deal, and that “the entire world will be safer” as the world’s arsenal of nuclear weapons is decreased.
Next is a clip of Donald Trump from 18 years ago, where he says during an interview on Meet the Press, “The biggest problem this world has is nuclear proliferation. And we have a country out there, North Korea, which is sort of whacko… and they are going out and they are developing nuclear weapons.” Trump then posed the following question regarding taking military action against North Korea: “Do you want to do it in five years when they have warheads all over the place, every one of them pointing to New York City, to Washington… ?” He concludes by stating that it’s “better to do it now” rather than to wait for the North Korean regime to grow stronger.
If you fast-forward to today, then it becomes obvious that the warning Trump issued in that interview on Meet the Press was almost prophetic. We haven’t dealt with North Korea properly, and as a result, the regime now has nuclear missiles that they can use against the United States and our allies.
Just weeks ago, on December 29, the Los Angeles Times published a story with the headline, “2017 Was the Year when North Korea Became a Threat to the U.S. Mainland.” In it, columnist Matt Stiles explains that the psychopathic leader of North Korea, Kim Jong-Un, started off 2017 by announcing his intentions of developing an intercontinental ballistic missile that is capable of reaching the United States, and that as the year unfolded, it became obvious that Kim stuck to his resolution.
As the Los Angeles Times points out, in the year 2017, Kim Jong-Un overcame several technological hurdles and was ultimately able to test launch at least 17 ballistic missiles, while simultaneously exchanging rhetoric and provocative remarks with the President of the United States, Donald Trump.
Two of the regime’s most successful missile tests came in the second half of 2017. The first, which occurred on July 4, was North Korea’s first launch of an intercontinental ballistic missile, which flew over 1,700 miles into space for roughly 40 minutes before landing in the waters east of the peninsula. (Related: There are growing fears of World War III as North Korea tests an ICBM that can “hit anywhere in the world.”)
Then, towards the end of November, the North Koreans launched its most powerful ICBM to date, which had the ability to reach Washington D.C. The regime attached a heavy warhead to the missile to replicate a nuclear device, which was seen by many Americans as a sign that the North wouldn’t hesitate to drop a nuclear weapon on the mainland. (Related: North Korea can now kill off 90 percent of the population with a single warhead.)
If people didn’t listen to Donald Trump 18 years ago, then perhaps now, with North Korea developing ballistic missiles capable of reaching the United States, they will start to do just that. Indeed, when it comes to Kim Jong-Un and his regime, military action is starting to become not just a possibility, but a necessity.