Cash is one of the most important things you need for emergency situations. However, financial preparedness is also one of the most forgotten aspects of prepping. You may face a situation in which you may lose your income while being stuck with other expenses. Being financially prepared is a way to protect yourself in the event of a disaster. Here are 12 things you need to invest in that won’t lose their value even when SHTF: (h/t to AskAPrepper.com)
- Gold and silver – Gold and silver are the most classic investment of all time. During times of financial crisis, these metals always increase in value, even when everything else is declining in value. These items serve different purposes when trading with others. It would be better to use silver when buying small items as it has a lesser value than gold, while gold would be better if you are making a major purchase.
- Land – This refers to the land your home is sitting on or land that you can use for homesteading. Making sure that you own your home and that it can’t be taken away from you is one of the best investments you can make, especially for surviving a financial collapse.
- A cottage industry business – Aside from investing in things, you may also want to consider investing in the skills, knowledge, and tools to make a living. Repair businesses, for example, are a great choice because they do extremely well after a financial collapse.
- Alcohol – People with vices, such as drinking alcohol, will hang on to their habits more than their most basic needs. This is the reason why alcoholics and drug addicts spend the money they need for food and heating to feed their addictions. In times of severe problems, many will trade away food just to get a drink, making alcohol a great barter good.
- Tobacco – People smoke to deal with stress, and in post-disaster situations, there will be plenty of stress. Having a stock of tobacco could be valuable for trading. However, avoid investing in cigarettes because they can go stale. Instead, invest in raw tobacco and rolling papers.
- Coffee – Coffee is a great investment, as there are more coffee drinkers than there are alcoholics and smokers. Choose whole beans over ground coffee because they will store better. This also means that you need to have a grinder on hand as well, so that you can grind their coffee for them.
- Ammunition – Building stockpiles of ammunition will be useful for hunting and self-defense.
- Gasoline – Gasoline is a good investment, but only for a short term. It can be challenging to store because it does not store well for prolonged periods of time. The more volatile hydrocarbons tend to evaporate, and other gasoline components undergo oxidation. You can add a fuel stabilizer to the gas to extend its shelf life, but only for about a year. Storing gasoline in sealed metal containers will last longer than it will in plastic gas cans.
- Toilet paper – In a post-disaster world, toilet paper may become highly valuable, so start stocking up.
- Seeds – When it comes to long-term survival after a disaster event, owning seeds is important. Everyone else will need it to plant gardens and grow their own food. Also, enhance your gardening skills. Owning seeds may be a short investment, but it can have big returns.
Financial preparedness is an important part of prepping, and investing in these items can help you get through when SHTF. It is also important to settle your debts and protect your assets now while you’re still employed, save money, and stick to the family budget.
Submit a correction >>