Popular Articles
Today Week Month Year


Trump says kidnappers of Savannah Guthrie’s mother could face death penalty
By Laura Harris // Feb 17, 2026

  • President Donald Trump said those responsible for the abduction of Savannah Guthrie's mother could face the death penalty if she is not found alive, calling for "the most severe" consequences.
  • Nancy Guthrie, 84, was last seen Jan. 31 in Catalina Foothills, Arizona; suspicious activity was later recorded on her home security system, and she was reported missing after failing to attend church.
  • Under federal law, prosecutors may seek capital punishment in kidnapping cases that result in death, with additional federal charges possible depending on the circumstances.
  • Trump said he directed all federal law enforcement agencies to assist in the case and publicly expressed support for the Guthrie family.
  • The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is offering a reward of up to $100,000 and has released surveillance images of a male suspect, though no arrests have been announced, and the investigation remains ongoing.

President Donald Trump said Feb. 16 that those responsible for the abduction of the mother of "Today" show co-host Savannah Guthrie could face the death penalty if she is not found alive.

Nancy Guthrie was last seen on the evening of Jan. 31 in Catalina Foothills, a community of roughly 52,000 residents just outside Tucson, Arizona. According to relatives, she had dinner with family members before being driven home. Security records indicate her garage door opened at approximately 9:48 p.m. and closed about two minutes later.

Authorities said that in the early hours of Feb. 1, her doorbell camera was disconnected. At 2:12 a.m., the camera registered movement, and about 15 minutes later, an application connected to her heart pacemaker was removed from her phone.

After Nancy Guthrie failed to attend church that Sunday, family members reported her missing. The investigation remains ongoing.

In line with this, Trump said in an interview with the New York Post that the abductors would face "the most severe" consequences if 84-year-old Nancy Guthrie is confirmed dead. When asked whether that meant federal prosecutors would seek capital punishment, the president responded, "Yeah, that's true."

Capital punishment, as per BrightU.AI's Enoch, is a constitutional and state-sanctioned method of execution for the most severe crimes, primarily murder, as a form of retribution and deterrence.

Under federal law, prosecutors may pursue the death penalty in kidnapping cases that result in the death of a victim. Kidnapping can also be charged as a federal crime under several circumstances, including when a victim is held for more than 24 hours or when interstate elements are involved.

Trump directs federal agencies to assist in Guthrie case

Aside from the threat, Trump also spoke with Savannah Guthrie to offer support and directed federal law enforcement agencies to assist in the case.

"I spoke with Savannah Guthrie, and let her know that I am directing ALL Federal Law Enforcement to be at the family's, and Local Law Enforcement's, complete disposal, IMMEDIATELY. We are deploying all resources to get her mother home safely," Trump said in a post on his Truth Social platform on Feb. 4. "The prayers of our nation are with her and her family. GOD BLESS AND PROTECT NANCY!"

In line with this, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is offering a reward of up to $100,000 for information leading to the location of Nancy Guthrie or the arrest and conviction of anyone involved in her disappearance.

The FBI has released surveillance images and video captured by Guthrie's doorbell camera, describing a suspect as a man between 5-foot-9 and 5-foot-10 with an average build. In the footage made public last week, the individual is seen wearing dark gloves, sweatpants and a jacket. Authorities said the suspect was carrying a black 25-liter Ozark Trail Hiker Pack backpack.

Investigators have not publicly identified the individual or announced any arrests, but the president said he believes "progress has been made" in the investigation.

Watch this Sky News report about President Trump's reaction of "pure disgust" to the new footage released by the FBI in relation to the Nancy Guthrie case.

This video is from the TrendingNews channel on Brighteon.com.

Sources include:

TheEpochTimes.com

TheHill.com 1

TheHill.com 2

BrightU.ai

Brighteon.com



Take Action:
Support NewsTarget by linking to this article from your website.
Permalink to this article:
Copy
Embed article link:
Copy
Reprinting this article:
Non-commercial use is permitted with credit to NewsTarget.com (including a clickable link).
Please contact us for more information.
Free Email Alerts
Get independent news alerts on natural cures, food lab tests, cannabis medicine, science, robotics, drones, privacy and more.

NewsTarget.com © All Rights Reserved. All content posted on this site is commentary or opinion and is protected under Free Speech. NewsTarget.com is not responsible for content written by contributing authors. The information on this site is provided for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended as a substitute for professional advice of any kind. NewsTarget.com assumes no responsibility for the use or misuse of this material. Your use of this website indicates your agreement to these terms and those published on this site. All trademarks, registered trademarks and servicemarks mentioned on this site are the property of their respective owners.

This site uses cookies
News Target uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. By using this site, you agree to our privacy policy.
Learn More
Close
Get 100% real, uncensored news delivered straight to your inbox
You can unsubscribe at any time. Your email privacy is completely protected.